- Food rules. If a dog is reacting to her food no supplements or herbs will be of much value. Food reactions cause inflammation and interfere with normal body functions.
- If you are feeding dry kibble ensure that there are no wheat or corn ingredients in the food, including prescription diets which contain some of the most unhealthy ingredients.
- If you are feeding dry kibble always serve it with soup or broth – either on the side or on top. Many dogs prefer it on the side. Dry kibble does not provide enough moisture leaving many dogs dehydrated.
- Avoid giving your dogs tap water to drink – give them the same water that you drink.
- Whether or not you are feeding kibble, home-made or raw, change up the dietary staple every few weeks. In other words, if your dog has been eating chicken for 6 months, change it to lamb. If your dog has been eating fish for several weeks, change it to turkey. And so on… This helps prevent food sensitivities, allergies and intolerances.
- If your dog cannot sustain optimum health on kibble consider transitioning to a raw or home-made diet with lots of vegetables and healthy cooked grains.
- If you dogs have health problems on raw, transition to a home-made diet with less meat protein and lots of vegetables and healthy cooked grains.
- For arthritic dogs or dogs with conditions of inflammation do not feed any kind of beef, bison, venison, red meats or organ meats. These foods are highly acidic and the acids deposit into the tissues creating more pain and inflammation. Give a dose of Bone-Up every day to alkalize and strengthen joints, muscles and connective tissue.
- For senior dogs with any kind of health issues dramatically decrease all meat protein and organ meat. You may even put them on a vegetarian cleanse with eggs as a protein source. Contact us if you need assistance with this.
- Feed Pro-Colon probiotics and prebiotics daily for 3-4 weeks, two-three times per year. This will optimize digestion, support the intestinal immune system, aid leaky gut and reduce colon toxicity.
Marijke van de Water, B.Sc., DHMS
Animal Health & Nutrition Specialist
Medical Intuitive & Healer
Author & Educator
Healing Horses: Their Way
Healing People: The Marijke Method